Hit-and-run accidents happen more often than we'd like to admit and can leave victims feeling frustrated, helpless, and angry. It's natural that you'd want to follow the driver who caused the accident, but is it the right choice? In this blog post, we're going to discuss whether it's a good idea to follow a hit-and-run driver, the potential outcomes of doing so, and the steps to take after being in a hit-and-run accident.
Should I Chase a Hit-and-Run Driver?
Should you follow a hit-and-run driver? While it's understandable to want to pursue the driver responsible for your car accident, it's important to remember that this is not without its risks. Following the driver could put you and others in danger, especially if the driver is reckless or aggressive. Additionally, you may not have all the information or proof you need to make a legal case against the driver, especially if you're not a trained investigator.
What Could Happen if I Follow a Hit-and-Run Driver?
Now that we've discussed the risks, let's consider the potential outcomes of following a hit-and-run driver:
- Firstly, you may not be able to catch up to the driver, especially if they're driving at high speeds. This could put you in an even more dangerous situation, and it's not worth risking your safety to pursue someone who you may not be able to catch.
- Secondly, if you do manage to catch up to the driver, it's important to remember that taking the law into your own hands could have negative consequences. You may do or say something that could harm your case in court, or even make things worse by engaging in a confrontation with the driver.
What Should I Do if I’m the Victim of a Hit-and-Run Accident?
If you've been in a hit-and-run accident, it's important to take the following steps to protect yourself and increase your chances of getting justice:
- Call the police – Call the police and file a report. This will help document the incident and create a record of what happened, which you can use in court if necessary.
- Seek medical attention – Seek medical attention if needed, and make sure you document all injuries and medical bills related to the accident.
- Gather evidence – Gather as much information as possible from witnesses and any other drivers involved. This may include getting their contact information, license plate numbers, and any photos or videos of the accident scene.
- Contact an experienced car accident lawyer – An experienced car accident lawyer can help you understand your rights and options and will work with you to build a strong case against the hit-and-run driver. They can also advise you on whether it's worth pursuing legal action against the driver or if it's best to focus on other avenues for justice.
Need Help After a Hit-and-Run Accident in NYC? Contact Belushin Law Firm, P.C. Today!
The Belushin Law Firm has a strong track record of assisting individuals involved in car accidents. If you or someone you care about has been affected by a hit-and-run incident, we can potentially aid you in holding the responsible parties accountable. This includes helping you secure compensation to cover lost wages, medical bills, and other related expenses.