Skip to Content
Free Consultations 888-918-9890

What Should I Do if I’m Injured in a Municipal Park in New York?


Municipal parks are a great place to relax, exercise, and enjoy the great outdoors. However, accidents can happen, and unfortunately, many people suffer injuries while visiting these public spaces. Injuries sustained in a park can range from minor bumps and bruises to serious fractures, head injuries, and more. If you or someone you love has been injured in a municipal park, it’s important to know what to do next. In this blog post, we will guide you through the steps you should take after an injury in a municipal park.

What to Do if You’re Injured in a Municipal Park

The following are a few tips for what to do if you’re injured in a municipal park because of another person or entity’s negligence in New York:

  • Seek Medical Attention: First and foremost, if you are injured in a municipal park, you should seek medical attention immediately. Even if you don’t feel any pain or discomfort, it’s important to get checked out by a healthcare professional. Injuries can take several hours or even days to fully develop, and early treatment can prevent further complications.
  • Report the Incident: Reporting the incident is crucial, as it will help establish a record of the incident. Find the nearest park ranger or park employee and report the situation to them. They will make sure that you receive proper medical attention, and they will also document the incident.
  • Gather Evidence: If possible, take pictures of the scene, your injuries, and any other evidence that may be relevant to your case. The documentation will play a crucial role when building your case and pursuing compensation.
  • Keep Detailed Records: Documenting your medical costs, lost wages, and other expenses related to the incident can help you maximize your compensation. Keeping detailed records will ensure that you don't miss out on the compensation that you are entitled to.
  • Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer: If your injuries are severe, it’s important to hire a personal injury lawyer to help you navigate the legal process. A personal injury lawyer will help you collect evidence, file claims, and represent you in court if necessary.

What Is a Municipal Claim?

Parks can sometimes pose hazards due to uneven walking surfaces. Additionally, certain features like swings, basketball courts, and other sports areas, as well as playground equipment, can also carry potential risks.

In general, the city or municipality is responsible for ensuring that parks, including their walking surfaces and additional features, are safe. So, if a person suffers an injury in a park, in some instances, the city is at fault and can be held accountable via a municipal claim.

Injured in a Municipal Park? Our Experienced Municipal Claim Attorneys Can Help. Contact Us to Schedule a Free Consultation Today!

Cities and towns require notice of a municipal claim within 90 days of the incident. That's why it's crucial to get in touch with our experienced personal injury lawyers as soon as possible after your accident. At Belushin Law Firm, our municipal claim attorneys will ensure your lawsuit is filed within the specified time frame, allowing you to prioritize your recovery instead of a legal battle.

If you were injured while in a municipal park, call us at (888) 918-9890 or reach out to us online today to schedule a free consultation with our experienced municipal claim lawyers in Brooklyn.

Share To: