If you are a driver in New York, then you probably know how challenging navigating our roads can be. There are a wide variety of difficulties that drivers must contend with, including heavy traffic, pedestrians, and unpredictable fellow drivers. These factors, as well as many others, can make it extremely difficult to keep yourself, your passengers, and others sharing the road with you safe while you are behind the wheel.
One way to help make your travels safer is by sitting properly while driving. Many people don't realize how important it is to have the correct posture when driving, but it can truly help improve the odds that you arrive at your destination safely.
This blog post will go into detail about how to sit properly while driving and give you some tips on how to stay safe behind the wheel.
Tips for Sitting Properly While Driving
Sitting properly while driving is an essential part of helping drivers remain safe while on the road. It helps reduce the strain on your back and neck muscles and improves your reaction time in case of an emergency. If you’re unsure how to sit properly while operating a motor vehicle, the tips shared below will help you maintain the correct posture while driving:
- Adjust Your Seat – The first step to sitting correctly while driving is to adjust your seat correctly. You should be able to reach the pedals easily without having to stretch your legs too far. Also, make sure that you can see the road properly through the windshield. Adjust the height of your seat so that you can see at least three inches over the dashboard. Lastly, adjust the angle of your seat so that your thighs are parallel to the ground when your back is against the seat.
- Place Your Hands Correctly – It is essential to place your hands on the steering wheel properly. The ideal position for your hands is at nine and three o'clock. This position will give you maximum control over the car and improve your reaction time in case of an emergency. You should avoid driving with only one hand or placing your hands at the top of the steering wheel.
- Use a Pillow if Necessary – In some cases, the car seat may not be comfortable for you, especially if you are tall or have back problems. In such a scenario, you could use a small pillow to support your lower back. The pillow will help you maintain good posture and reduce the strain on your back and neck muscles.
- Wear the Seatbelt Properly – It is crucial to wear your seatbelt properly while driving. The shoulder strap should rest on your chest and not your neck and the lap belt should rest low on your hips. Wearing the seatbelt correctly will reduce the risk of injury in case of a car accident.
- Take Breaks as Needed – Lastly, it is essential to take breaks as needed while driving. Sitting in one position for long periods can lead to fatigue and muscle tension. If you are driving for an extended period, take regular breaks to stretch your legs and back to avoid getting tired behind the wheel.
Contact Our Car Accident Lawyers in Brooklyn Now for a Free, No-Obligation Consultation!
Belushin Law Firm has a long history of successfully helping traffic accident victims and their families in Brooklyn and throughout NYC. If you or a loved one are suffering due to a car accident that happened because of the negligence of another, we may be able to help you hold those at fault accountable, including recovering the compensation you need and deserve to cover the cost of lost wages, hospital bills, and other expenses.
To learn more about Belushin Law Firm, read our clients’ reviews.