Just last week, a truck accident left Interstate 95 looking like a disaster area. According to NBC 4 New York, a leaky tractor-trailer truck is believed to have been the cause of a 23-vehicle pileup on I-95 in Westchester County last Wednesday morning.
New York State Police responded to the scene near New Rochelle just before 7 am. They found a mile-long accident scene that included 21 passenger vehicles and two tractor-trailer trucks. One of the trucks had leaked over 100 gallons of its load and that is believed to have caused the massive multi-vehicle wreck.
Reportedly, police were unsure what the liquid leaking from the truck was, but whatever it was, when it leaked onto the roadway, it caused it to become extremely slippery. Those slippery conditions eventually led to the pileup, according to the report.
No one was killed in the wreck. However, seven people suffered minor injuries in the multi-vehicle crash. They were all taken to the hospital for treatment and are expected to be okay.
What to Do If You’re in a Truck Accident in New York
If you or a family member are the victim of a truck accident in New York, you should do the following as soon as possible:
- Contact help – As soon as you can, call 911. The sooner you call, the faster law enforcement and medical professionals can respond to the accident scene and help you and anyone else involved in the wreck. Plus, if you or anyone else needs immediate medical attention, the 911 operator can talk you through providing treatment to injury victims until medical help arrives to take over.
- Seek medical attention – Even if you are treated at the accident scene, you should go see your doctor to make sure that there aren’t any injuries that weren’t properly treated, weren’t diagnosed, or were misdiagnosed. You should also keep track of all records of your injuries and take pictures of your injuries.
- Gather information – If possible, get the contact information of the truck driver, other drivers and passengers involved in the crash, and any witnesses. You should also exchange insurance information with the other drivers. In addition, take pictures of the accident scene and the damage to your vehicle.
- Don’t talk to the trucking company – The trucking company, their insurance provider, and their lawyers are not your friends. They will do whatever they can to shift the blame from the truck driver and pin it on anyone else, including you.
- Talk to an experienced truck accident lawyer – You need to speak to an experienced truck accident attorney as soon as possible after the wreck. A lawyer can examine your situation, determine if you have a case, and help you hold a negligent trucker or trucking company accountable for your injuries, the damage to your vehicle, or the loss of a loved one.
Belushin Law Firm, P.C. has been fighting for the rights of truck accident victims and their families in Brooklyn and throughout NYC since 2002. Our clients are always our top priority, and as our case results and reviews prove, we know how to help them hold those whose negligence led to their pain and suffering accountable, including securing compensation for current and future medical costs, loss of income, and funeral expenses.
To learn more about what your options are if you were the victim of a truck accident or someone you love was killed in a truck wreck, or to speak to our experienced truck accident attorneys in Brooklyn about your situation, call us at (888) 918-9890 or get in touch with us online today for a free, no-obligation consultation.