What Do I Need to Make a Successful Personal Injury Claim?
When you make a personal injury claim, you and your Brooklyn personal injury lawyer will immediately go to work to gather as much proof as possible. Without proper proof that the party accused of being responsible for your injuries acted negligently, your chances of success are slim. In order to be eligible to recover damages, there are several things you and your attorney will have to do:
- Prove the existence of responsibility. If there is no way for you and your attorney to establish that the defendant (the person against whom you are filing a claim) had a specific duty, the fulfillment of which would have prevented your injury.
- Prove the defendant did not fulfill their duty. If it is your landlord’s legal obligation to ensure certain security measures are in place and their failure to do so allows a violent criminal to attack you in your home, you may be able to demonstrate that the opposing party’s negligence contributed to your injuries.
- Prove that you have actually been injured. In order to seek compensation for damages, you must be able to prove to the court that your suffering stems from the negligence of another person. Emotional and psychological harm fall within the spectrum of provable, acceptable injuries. While the accused party may have indeed exhibited reckless behavior, there is no successfully personal injury case without an identifiable personal injury.
In addition to proving someone else failed to fulfill an important duty and that this failure resulted in significant harm to you, you have to prove a direct causation (not merely correlation) between negligence and injury. It is also important to have a clearly identified responsible party, and it is also important to know the negligent party will be able to pay costs related to your injury. This is especially true if you plan to pursue compensation for any intangible, long-term damages that stem from your injury, such as:
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning potential
- Lost inheritance
- Pain and suffering
- Permanently decreased quality of life
Regardless of the nature, circumstances, cost, or extent of your injuries, you will need a court-tested Brooklyn personal injury attorney on your time to help you make a successful case. Without an experienced professional on your side, your chances of recovering the compensation you need to make a complete recovery and cover all injury-related expenses are slim, especially if you hope to bring a claim against a company or organization.
Let our Brooklyn Personal Injury Lawyers Help
At the Belushin Law Firm, P.C., we are passionate about helping ordinary people and making sure they are treated equally. No matter whose negligence caused your injury, get in touch with a member of our team today to let us help you start making your case. We even offer free case evaluations to get you started.
Get in touch with us by calling (888) 918-9890, or send us a message to schedule your complimentary consultation today.