According to data collected by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (NYSDMV) in 2014, Almost 300,000 car accidents occurred throughout the state. An unexpected car accident can be an overwhelming experience. The sheer shock alone can leave you feeling a bit scattered and emotions can potentially flare, causing you to potentially fail to do the right things to recover compensation from the accident.
The following are suggestions provided by our car accident lawyers on what to do after a car accident:
- Take a deep breath and stay calm - Having a composure over your emotions can result in making rational decisions in the face of adversity.
- Check for injuries – No matter how severe, call an ambulance when in doubt. Also check on the well-being of your passengers.
- Get to safety – If your car is safe to drive, either pull over to the side of the road or on the sidewalk to avoid further danger.
- Notify law enforcement – Even if the accident is minor, it is a good idea to call the police and obtain a police report. Provide a detailed account of the events that transpired and make sure you get the name and badge number of all responding officers.
- Notify your insurer – They can also explain to you exactly what they will need to process your claim.
- Document the scene – Since most cellphones are now equipped with cameras, you should take pictures of the vehicles if visible damage is evident. If you have sustained visible injuries, you should photograph them as well.
Exchange information – While investigating police officers can obtain this information
for you, try to write down as much information as possible in the accident
- Driver and passenger names
- Insurance information
- License plate numbers
- Makes and models of all vehicles involved
- Contact information for any eyewitnesses
- Accident location
- Keep a file – Maintain all your accident-related documents and information together in a folder or put aside to store later.
- Contact your attorney – Your attorney can advise you on issues such as how to obtain the best medical treatment for your injuries and how to make sure you are completely compensated for your vehicle and injuries.
Contact our car accident attorneys today to schedule your free consultation.